[/.] Windows 7 Benchmarks Show Little Improvement On Vista

Windows 7 Benchmarks Show Little Improvement On Vista

snydeq writes "InfoWorld’s Randall Kennedy examines Windows 7 from the kernel up, subjecting the ‘pre-beta’ to a battery of benchmarks to find any signs that the OS will be faster, more responsive, and less resource-intensive than the bloated Vista, as Microsoft suggests. Identical thread counts at the kernel level suggest to Kennedy that Windows 7 is a ‘minor point-type of release, as opposed to a major update or rewrite.’ Memory footprint for the kernel proved eerily similar to that of Vista as well. ‘In fact, as I worked my way through the process lists of the two operating systems, I was struck by the extent of the similarities,’ Kennedy writes, before discussing the results of a nine-way workload test scenario he performed on Windows 7 — the same scenario that showed Vista was 40 percent slower than Windows XP. ‘In a nutshell, Windows 7 M3 is a virtual twin of Vista when it comes to performance,’ Kennedy concludes. ‘In other words, Microsoft’s follow-up to its most unpopular OS release since Windows Me threatens to deliver zero measurable performance benefits while introducing new and potentially crippling compatibility issues.’"Read more of this story at Slashdot.